Warm Bacon and Goat Cheese Spinach Salad
Switch things up and enjoy a warm salad, perfect for a cool day!
- 8 ounces young spinach
- 8 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup Chèvre goat cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash baby spinach and snap each leaf from the stem. Lay flat on kitchen towels and set aside.
- Place chopped up bacon on a pan over medium flame. Once the fat has been rendered and the bacon is brown and crispy, remove and place on paper towels to dry. Set aside.
- Add ½ of the quarter cup of extra virgin olive oil into the pan, add mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms until caramelized and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to the cooking mushrooms to help the caramelization process. Add minced shallots and sauté for another 5 mins.
- Turn the heat down to low, then have a whisk ready in your stirring hand, add red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard and mix vigorously. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the rest of the extra virgin olive oil and stir until dressing is fully combined.
- Place baby spinach in a big salad bowl, add Chèvre goat cheese in chunks, dress with bacon dressing and toss. Top with bacon bits and enjoy.