Vegan Protein Steel Cut Oats
Photo Credit: Now Cook This!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- To serve: sliced 2 bananas, ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- Bring 1 cup water, 1 cup almond milk and salt to a boil in a saucepan.
- Once the water is boiling, sprinkle in 1 cup of steel-cut oats. Let the mixture boil, stirring frequently, until it starts to thicken. At first it will look like loose oats just floating in water, but you’ll be able to tell when the oats start breaking down and the mixture starts to get a little smoother.
- Reduce the heat and bring the oats to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. You might need to add between 1/2 – 1 cup of water more if your oats start to get too thick before they’re tender — we added an extra 1/2 cup while they were cooking to get the texture we wanted. It can take up to 30 minutes for the oats to get tender, and don’t forget to give them a quick stir every once and a while, so the bottom of your pan doesn’t scorch.
- Once the oats are tender, add 1/3 cup almond butter. Divide the oats in half. Set aside one portion for leftovers and divide the other portion in two bowls. Top with sliced bananas, dust with ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Serve warm.