The Silver Palate Cookbook's Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Generously serves 8
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ cups shelled pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2½ cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Shelled Pecans
- Ground Cinnamon
- Sour Sream
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsalted Butter
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Special Equipment: 10" Bundt pan
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350°. Butter and flour Bundt pan. Sift baking powder, salt, and 2 cups flour into a medium bowl.
- Mix pecans, cinnamon, and ½ cup sugar in another medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat remaining 2 cups sugar and 1 cup butter in a large bowl until incorporated and smooth. Add eggs, beating well to combine and scraping down bowl, then beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat flour mixture into butter mixture, increasing speed to medium-low if needed, until just blended. Do not over beat.
- Scrape half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with half of pecan mixture. Spread remaining batter over; smooth top, then sprinkle with remaining pecan mixture.
- Bake cake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes. Let cool 20–30 minutes. Invert onto a platter and serve warm.