This Tavern Burger is perfect for those nights when you're craving your favorite restaurant's burger but don't want to leave the house or want to save money. This recipe is simple and highly customizable, even better than that restaurant burger!
- ½ teaspoon neutral oil, like canola, or a pat of unsalted butter
- 2 pounds ground chuck (at least 20% fat)
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices cheese (optional)
- 4 soft hamburger buns
- lettuce leaves, slices tomatoes and condiments, as desired
- Add oil or butter to a large cast-iron or stainless steel skillet and place over medium heat.
- Gently divide ground beef into 4 small piles (around 8 ounce each) and lightly form into thick patties (3 1/2 inch) diameter, like flattened meatballs). Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat under skillet to high.
- Put hamburgers into the skillet with plenty of distance between them and allow them to cook, without moving, (3 minutes).
- Flip hamburgers over and add cheese, if using. Continue to cook through, (3-4 minutes for medium-rare).
- Remove from skillet and allow to rest (5 minutes).
- Toast the buns, place hamburgers and top as desired.