Tarragon Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon
You wouldn't settle for another mediocre Chicken Salad, would you? Of course not! That's why we created this recipe that includes flavorful Tarragon, Avocado, and Bacon. You're not average & your meals shouldn't be either!
- 8 strips thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 8 slices sourdough
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 ½ pounds) roasted chicken, meat shredded, skin and bones discarded (3 to 4 cups)
- ½ cup fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup tarragon leaves, whole
- 1 ripe avocado
- sea salt
- 2 cups arugula
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the middle position.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet and cook in the oven (17 to 22 minutes), until done but still chewy, not crisp. Remove the bacon from the oven, transfer it to paper towels to drain, and allow it to cool slightly before tearing into irregular pieces.
- Drizzle sourdough slices with olive oil and toast on a baking sheet in the oven (10 to 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, stir the mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and kosher salt together in a small bowl and season with more lemon juice, garlic, or salt to taste.
- Combine the shredded chicken, chopped tarragon, and ¾ cup of the garlic mayonnaise in a large bowl. Toss to coat the chicken, adding more if needed.
- Halve the avocado, remove and discard the pit and skin. Cut into uneven chunks about the same size as the bacon and season with sea salt.
- Put the arugula, avocado, and bacon in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss gently.
- When toasts are finished, mound the arugula salad and chicken salad evenly amongst them. Combine toasts with opposite salads together to form a complete sandwich.