Sweet and Spicy BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Pickles
- 1 Bottle pickles
- ½ Cup piloncillo or dark brown sugar
- ½ Cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ⅓ Cup sambal oelek
- ¼ Cup fish sauce
- ¼ Cup Sriracha
- 4 Garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3 Tablespoons white miso
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 Sesame seed buns, toasted
- 2 Scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Dark brown sugar
- Unseasoned rice vinegar
- Sambal oelek
- Fish sauce
- White miso
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sesame seed buns
- Prepare the grill for medium-high heat. In a large saucepan, whisk together piloncillo, vinegar, sambal, fish sauce, Sriracha, garlic, miso, and ginger. Add chicken and toss to coat. Transfer chicken to a plate and let sit until ready to grill. It’s OK to leave it out at room temperature for up to 30 minutes. If you need longer, cover with plastic and chill for up to 8 hours.
- Transfer saucepan with marinade to the stove and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half (about 1 cup), 7 to 10 minutes.
- Grill chicken, turning and basting often with reduced marinade, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Toast buns on both sides.
- Place one chicken thigh on the bottom side of the bun. Top with pickles, sliced scallion, and cilantro. Top with remaining bun and serve.