Supper Club No. 7 - Prawn Bisque Spaghetti
Your average pasta dinner becomes elevated when you add Prawns!
- For Prawn Bisque -
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- About 1 lb shrimp and prawn shells
- 1 cup Flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ c Cognac
- ½ c dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- For the Pasta -
- 1 lbs GF or regular pasta
- Salt for pasta water
- ½ c butter
- ½ lbs prawns, shells removed and cut in half lengthwise (from head to tail)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup Prawn Bisque
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ hand-torn Basil
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- For the Prawn Bisque -
- Place a small stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add extra virgin olive oil, chopped onion, garlic, ½ tsp of salt. Sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add in shrimp and prawn shells, Flat-leaf Italian parsley and tomato paste continue to stir. Add in the remaining salt.
- Turn up the heat to high and add cognac, stir well until the Cognac is burned off. Add in white wine and ½ cup water. Simmer for 15-20 mins, uncovered.
- When the stock has reduced to half, turn off the heat and strain the stock. Separate the shells from the stock, pressing down on the shells to make sure you get all the bisque from the prawn shells.
- Set aside.
- For the Pasta -
- Take a large pot and fill it ¾ with water. Add ¼ cup salt. Cover the pot, place over high heat and allow for the water to come to a boil.
- Cook Spaghetti to manufacturers instructions.
- Place a sauté pan over medium heat, allow it to come up to temperature and add ¼ cup butter. Once the butter has melted add in half-ed prawn pieces, season lightly with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Turning from side to side quickly. Do these in batches. Once one batch is done turning add another batch, set aside when the prawns are seared.
- Using the same pan, add ¼ cup butter, shallots garlic and grape tomatoes. Sauté the tomatoes until they are soft, about 7 minutes. Pour in Prawn Bisque, lemon juice and lemon zest. Allow to simmer for at least 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper. Once the sauce has thickened, add in cooked spaghetti. Toss back in seared prawns, add hand-torn basil.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.