Supper Club No. 5 - Frisée-Lardon Salad
As featured in our Supper Club Menu on 6/26/2020, this salad will keep your tastebuds surprised (in a good way!) with it's delectable combination of hot, cold, crunchy and decadent!
- ¼ baguette
- 6 oz. thick-cut bacon (about 6 slices)
- 1 large shallot
- ½ small bunch chives
- 8 cups frisée (about 1 large head)
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar, plus more
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Tear ¼ baguette into 1" irregular craggy pieces (these will be your croutons). Cut 6 oz. thick-cut bacon crosswise into ¾" strips. Peel 1 large shallot, then thinly slice crosswise. Slice ½ small bunch of chives into ¾" batons. Thoroughly wash and dry 8 cups frisée. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a medium skillet over medium until shimmering. Add torn bread and stir well to evenly coat in oil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp in some areas, 4–5 minutes. You aren’t looking for croutons that are crisp all the way through—just some good browning on the outside.
- Return skillet to medium heat. Cook bacon, stirring frequently, until just shy of crisp, 4–5 minutes. Add shallots and ½ tsp. pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are just softened, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in ¼ cup red wine vinegar, scraping bottom of skillet to collect all those yummy bits. Add 1 Tbsp. honey, stirring to combine. Taste the dressing—if it feels like it needs a little bit more acidity, add a splash of vinegar.
- Toss lettuce, bacon vinaigrette, croutons, and chives to combine; season with salt and pepper.