Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Guacamole and Black Beans
- 2 Medium sweet potatoes (about 9 ounces each)
- 2 Tablespoons melted virgin coconut or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ Teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- ½ Teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 Red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 (15.5-ounce) Can black beans, rinsed, drained
- ¾ Cup vegetable broth
- 1 Ripe avocado
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 Cups baby spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 1 Ounce crumbled queso fresco (about 1/4 cup)
- Tortilla chips (optional; for serving)
- Sweet potatoes
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground cumin
- Red onion
- Canned black beans
- Vegetable broth
- Baby spinach
- Queso fresco
- Tortilla chips
- Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Toss with 1 Tbsp. oil, ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. cayenne, and ¼ tsp. cumin on a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange cut side up and roast until fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add onion and half of garlic and cook, stirring, until onion starts to release moisture and turns translucent, 2–3 minutes. Add beans, broth, ¼ tsp. salt, and remaining ¼ tsp. cayenne and ¼ tsp. cumin and cook until liquid is reduced and beans soften, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado and remaining garlic in a medium bowl with a fork until smooth. Stir in 2 Tbsp. cilantro, 1 Tbsp. lime juice, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt.
- Add spinach and remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice to bean mixture. Continue to cook until spinach wilts, about 30 seconds.
- Using the back of a spoon, gently push down in the center of potato halves to create a divot. Spoon bean mixture into potato halves, then top evenly with 2 Tbsp. avocado mixture, queso fresco, and remaining 1 Tbsp. cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips, if using, and remaining avocado dip alongside.