Stuffed Bell Peppers
Our Stuffed Bell Peppers not only taste amazing, they look beautiful too! The festive, bright colors will liven up your dinner table and the rice, ground beef, and veggies will leave you and yours feeling satisfied.
- 4 medium red, yellow, or orange bell peppers (6 ounces each), ½ inch trimmed off tops, cores and seeds discarded
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes, drained, ¼ cup juice reserved
- 5 ounces shredded Monterey jack (1 ¼ cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup ketchup
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large stockpot of Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and the bell peppers.
- Cook until the peppers just begin to soften (3 minutes).
- Remove the peppers from the pot, drain off the excess water, and place cut-side up on paper towels.
- Return the water to a boil.
- Add the rice and boil until tender (13 minutes).
- Drain the rice and transfer it to a large bowl & set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F with rack in the middle position.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and beginning to brown (5 minutes).
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking into small pieces, until no longer pink (4 minutes).
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
- Transfer mixture to the bowl with the rice and stir in the tomatoes, 1 cup cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the ketchup and reserved tomato juice together in a small bowl. Place the peppers cut side up in a square baking dish.
- Divide the filling evenly among the peppers.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the ketchup mix over each filled pepper and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon each of the remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is browned and filling is heated through (25-30 minutes).