Spiced Cinnamon Latte Cookies
Makes 3 dozen cookies
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 Teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ Teaspoons baking soda
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ Teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ Cup vegetable shortening (preferably trans-fat-free)
- ⅔ Cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Large egg
- ½ Cup molasses
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ Cup granulated sugar
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Vegetable shortening
- Light brown sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and cloves.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the shortening and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and beat in the egg, molasses, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined (do not overmix).
- Place the granulated sugar on a plate. Wash your hands.
- Now with your clean hands, roll heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls; roll in the sugar to coat. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Using a glass, press the balls to a ⅜-inch thickness and sprinkle with more granulated sugar.
- Bake cookies for 6 minutes, and rotate to bake for another 5 mins, and until the edges are firm. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.