Simple Roast Chicken
This Roast Chicken is a great starting point for creating a wonderful, well-rounded meal! We highly recommend pairing this with our Baby Mixed Greens, Strawberry, Almond, & Feta Salad with Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette!
- 1 whole chicken, 3 or 4 pounds, trimmed of excess fat
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Put a cast-iron skillet on a low rack in the oven and heat to 500˚F.
- Rub the chicken all over with the oil and sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper.
- When the oven and skillet are hot, carefully put the chicken in the skillet, breast side up.
- Roast (15 minutes), then turn the oven temperature down to 350˚F.
- Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh reads 155-165˚F.
- Tip the pan to let the juices flow from the chicken’s cavity into the pan.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and let it rest (5 minutes).
- Carve and serve. (Tear apart some of the chicken breast for future use)