Simple Coconut Macaroons
- Shredded coconut
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla or almond extract
- Arrange a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Toast the coconut if you want deeper coconut flavor and extra-crispy macaroons. Spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until just barely starting to show some color, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before using.
- Place the egg whites, sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk until the whites and sugar are completely combined and the mixture is frothy.
- Combine the coconut and egg white mixture. Stir until the coconut is evenly moistened.
- Shape the macaroons into golf-ball shape. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Place them on the baking sheet and spread them about an inch from each other.
- Bake the macaroons until golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.