Savory Thai Noodles
Make one meal each week meatless and noodle-based - like these savory Thai Noodles - for quick, easy, delicious dinners!
- Sauce -
- ⅓ cup tamari sauce
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Noodles -
- 8 ounces Thai rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 bunch (6 to 8) scallions, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces trimmed brussels sprouts, shredded or quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves and thin stems
- 4 ounces mung bean sprouts (optional)
- ½ cup salted roasted peanuts, lightly cracked in a mortar or coarsely chopped
- 1 red chile, such as Fresno, thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 lime wedges, for serving
- Make the sauce: In a blender or bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until smooth. It should be thick but pourable like barbecue sauce; add water as needed to thin it out.
- Cook noodles for stir-frying according to the package directions; they should be slightly underdone. After draining, rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking. Toss noodles in 1 teaspoon coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Cut scallions: Thinly slice the white parts, and cut the pale and dark green parts into 1-inch lengths.
- Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over high. Add 2 tablespoons coconut oil and sprinkle in salt. Add brussels sprouts and sear, tossing occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan over high heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add scallions and cook, stirring often, just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, stir, then pour in about half the sauce and stir until bubbling.
- Add noodles and cook, tossing in the sauce until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining sauce, cooked brussels sprouts, cilantro and bean sprouts, if using; toss to coat and heat through.
- Divide among plates. Garnish with peanuts, chile and lime wedges (if using) and serve immediately.