Salmon and Furikake Fried Rice
- 4 Large eggs
- 4 Cups chilled, cooked short-grain white rice
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- 1 (12-oz.) Skinless, boneless salmon fillet, cut into (1") pieces
- 1 (1") Piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- ½ Small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- 4 Scallions, white and pale green parts finely chopped, dark green parts thinly sliced, separated
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Furikake (for serving)
- Short-grain white rice
- Skinless, boneless salmon fillet
- Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Separate egg yolks from whites, placing yolks in a medium bowl and whites in another bowl. Add rice to bowl with yolks and mix to break up any clumps and coat each grain with yolks (take your time with this as any clumps will cook together); set aside. Stir 2 Tablespoons oil into egg whites and season lightly with salt.
- Heat a dry large nonstick skillet over high. Add egg white mixture and cook, pushing around constantly with chopsticks or a heatproof rubber spatula, until gently set, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the skillet if needed.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high. Season fish with salt and cook, undisturbed, until golden brown underneath, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook just until lightly browned on the other side and opaque throughout, about 1 minute. Transfer to another plate. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium-high. Cook ginger, stirring, until very fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add onion and season with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 1 minute (remove from heat if onion starts to go past golden brown). Add reserved rice mixture, sprinkle with sugar, and season with salt. Toss to combine, then cook, undisturbed, until rice is beginning to warm and crisp underneath, about 1 minute. Push some of the rice to the side to clear a few inches in the skillet. Drizzle a bit of oil into the clearing. Add scallion (white and pale green parts) and garlic and cook, stirring, until just softened and fragrant, about 45 seconds. Toss into rice mixture and cook, tossing occasionally, until warmed through and rice is crisp and chewy, about 3 minutes. Return cooked egg whites to pan and cook, tossing and breaking up with spatula until distributed. Return salmon to pan and toss once to combine.
- Divide among plates and top with furikake and scallion greens.