Roasted Radicchio and Roquefort Salad
- 2 heads of radicchio
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 bags croutons
- 1 bunch parsley leaves
- 1 bag walnuts
- Roquefort cheese
- Red wine vinegar
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Half each head of radicchio through the root end, cut each half into quarters and drizzle generously with olive oil to coat.
- Handling the radicchio pieces carefully, spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet, leaving space between each piece. Drizzle with more olive oil and season with salt. Halve the onions through the root end and cut each half into quarters for a total of 8 pieces. Drizzle generously with olive oil to coat.
- Handling the onion pieces carefully, spread them out in a single layer on another baking sheet, leaving space between each piece. Drizzle with more olive oil and season with salt. Place the prepared vegetables into the preheated oven and cook until tender and caramelized, about 22 minutes for the radicchio and 28 minutes for the onions. Check on the vegetables after about 12 minutes. Rotate the pans and switch their positions to make sure the vegetables brown evenly.
- Place half the croutons in a large bowl and toss with 1/3 cup of vinaigrette. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining croutons, radicchio, onions, parsley, walnuts and black pepper. Crumble in the cheese in big pieces. Dress with the remaining vinaigrette and taste. Adjust seasoning with salt and, if needed, a small amount of red wine vinegar. Toss and taste again. Best served at room temperature.
- Refrigerate leftovers, covered, for up to one night. Serves 4 generously.
- Brown Butter Vinaigrette. This recipes makes about 1/3 cup. You will need double this recipe for the salad. In a small bowl or jar, combine 1 tbsp. aged balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar. Add 1 tbsp. finely diced shallot and let this sit in the vinegars for 15 minutes. Add 4 TBSP brown butter, a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir or shake to combine, then taste with a leaf lettuce and adjust the seasoning as needed.