Ricotta Cheese Pancakes with Orange Butter Sauce
Traditional pancakes get flipped on their head with the additional of smooth, creamy ricotta and a zesty Orange Butter Sauce!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1-2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- fresh raspberries
- powdered sugar
- Orange Butter Sauce:: ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Orange Butter Sauce:: ⅓ cup sugar
- Orange Butter Sauce: 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Orange Butter Sauce: 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Orange Butter Sauce: 2 tablespoon orange liqueur (like Grand Marnier)
- Make the sauce by combining the orange juice, sugar, butter, lemon juice, and orange zest in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to help dissolve the sugar.
- Continue to boil until slightly thickened (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in the Grand Marnier.
- Return to a boil and cook (30 seconds).
- Keep warm over very low heat while making the pancakes.
- Preheat oven to 250˚F.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then stir in the ricotta cheese, milk, vanilla, and orange zest until the mixture is very smooth.
- Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, whisking until just combined and smooth. Don’t over-mix.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with butter.
- Form pancakes of about 3 tablespoon each in the skillet.
- When they begin to bubble, flip to brown the other side.
- Transfer to a lightly buttered baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining pancakes.
- Add more butter to the skillet as needed.
- To serve, drizzle individual plates with orange sauce and top with pancakes.
- Top with raspberries and dust lightly with powdered sugar.