Makes 4 dozen
- Peppermint extract
- Candy canes
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Cream of tartar
- Baking soda
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine ¾ cup sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and peppermint extract in bowl; beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; beat at low speed until well mixed. Stir ¼ cup crushed candy into dough.
- Stir remaining ¼ cup crushed candy into ¼ cup sugar.
- Shape dough into ¾ -inch balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place, 2 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Do not overbake. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.