Organic Blueberry Scones
Buttery, flakey scones are made even better by adding juicy organic blueberries! Enjoy your morning coffee or tea with this sweet treat!
- 3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup, plus 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 10 ounce (1 package) fresh organic blueberries
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 425˚F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ½ cup sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter or fingertips, rub in chilled butter until pieces are the size of small peas. Add fresh organic blueberries and toss to coat.
- In a glass bowl, add 1 cup buttermilk and finely grated lemon zest. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and stir until dough begins to form.
- Transfer dough onto lightly floured work surface and gather together. Roll dough into a thick rectangle. Cut into squares then diagonally to create a triangle. Form each triangle to ensure 1-inch-thick pieces.
- Transfer scones to prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown on top, about 35 minutes.