One Pot Italian Farro with White Beans and Tomatoes
- ¾ Cup uncooked farro
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Cup yellow onion, minced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- A pinch of paprika
- 4 Tomatoes (roughly 400 g), chopped
- ⅓ Cup roasted or sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Italian spice mix
- 2 Leaves of fresh basil
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- ¾ Cup warm water
- 1 Can (about 400 ml) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ Teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 Basil leaves for garnish
- Yellow onion
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Italian spice mix
- Red chili flakes
- White kidney beans
- Tomato paste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- First, cook the farro in a small pot with 1 ½ cups of water. Let it come to a boil, then cook until al dente, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, pour olive oil and allow this to get hot. Then toss in onion and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring often.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, the roasted or sundried tomatoes, the Italian spice mix, chopped basil leaves, red chili flakes. Continue to stir. Next, add ¾ cup of water, stir, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. At this point, uncover, add the cooked farro, the beans, and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Uncover, add 1 Tbsp tomato paste and taste for seasoning, adjusting if necessary. Lastly, sprinkle with chopped basil, a drizzle of lemon juice (about ½ tsp). Plate, drizzle good quality extra virgin olive oil on top and more fresh basil. Serve with your favorite crusty bread.