Mango-Mint Chutney is a fruity, spicy Indian inspired condiment. Once you master this easy recipe, you can make it to amplify your main dishes - we recommend trying it with our Grilled Chicken Masala!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 large mangoes, ripe, peeled, seed removed, cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ medium red onion, peeled and cut into ⅛ -inch dice
- 1 medium fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut into ⅛ -inch dice
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed or palm sugar
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Place garlic and ginger in saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add mangoes, onion, and jalapeno, stirring well to combine.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, turmeric, coriander, and cinnamon, cooking until vegetables are very soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- If mixture appears dry during cooking, add water, ¼ cup at a time, as needed.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To serve, transfer to a serving bowl.
- Stir in chopped mint leaves.
- Serve immediately as part of an Indian meal such as our Grilled Chicken Masala.