Make Ahead Sweet Orange Buns
While we love cooking, we'd rather be spending time with our people! Make this recipe Saturday night and be ready to roll on Sunday morning!
Photo Credit: The Stay at Home Chef
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, heated to 115°
- (1) 1/4-oz. package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus 16 tbsp., softened
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange zest (from about 4 oranges)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp. orange extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- Make the dough: Combine milk and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a hook; let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in sugar, melted butter, 1 tsp. salt, and egg; add flour, and mix on low speed until dough forms. Increase speed to medium-high; knead until smooth, about 8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap; let sit until dough doubles in size, about 1 1⁄2 hours. Meanwhile, beat softened butter, brown sugar, and zest in a bowl on high speed in a mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add remaining salt, confectioners' sugar, and extracts; beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Transfer 1⁄4 cup filling to a bowl; stir in juice to make an icing. Set filling and icing aside.
- Transfer dough to a work surface; using a rolling pin, roll dough into an 18″ × 10″ rectangle, and spread filling evenly over dough. Lift bottom edge of dough and roll it into a log; trim ends and cut log into 12 rounds. Transfer rounds cut side up to a greased 9″ × 13″ baking dish; cover with plastic wrap. Chill 6 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375°. Uncover rolls and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Drizzle icing over rolls before serving.