- For the Lumpia Filling: 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 pound pork belly, diced
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 pounds about 4 cups ubod / heart of palm; cut into matchsticks
- salt and pepper to taste
- green leaf lettuce leaves, ends trimmed and leaves separated
- 1 Package Fresh Lumpia Wrapper
- For the Lumpia Sauce: 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, ground
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Canola Oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 Heads of Garlic
- 1/4 Pound Pork Belly
- 1/2 pound Shrimp
- Fish Sauce
- 2 pounds Ubod / Heart of Palm
- Green Leaf Lettuce Leaves
- Soy Sauce
- Unsalted Peanuts
- Fresh Lumpia Wrapper
- Brown Sugar
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- For Lumpia: In a wide pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened. Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until color changes. Add fish sauce and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add water and continue to cook until pork is tender. Add ubod / heart of palm. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until ubod / / heart of palm is tender and pork is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan and drain well.
- Lay a fresh lumpia wrapper on a flat surface and place a lettuce leaf on top. Spoon about ¼ cup filling across the middle of wrapper and fold sides to cover filling.
- Pour sauce on top of prepared lumpia and garnish with additional minced garlic and ground peanuts, if desired.
- For the Lumpia Sauce: In a sauce pot over medium heat, combine 2-½ cups of the water, soy sauce, brown sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring regularly, until sugar is dissolved. Add garlic and peanuts. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and the remaining ¼ cup water. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Whisking vigorously, add cornstarch mixture into soy sauce mixture. Continue to cook, whisking regularly, until thickened. Add peanut butter and stir until dissolved and well combined.