Hearts of Romaine Salad with Apple, Red Onion, and Cider Vinaigrette
This tangy salad has a crunch that just won't quit thanks to the hearts of Romaine, Apples, and Red Onion! Perfect as an on-the-go lunch or as a side to your dinner.
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, halved, cored, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 5 hearts of romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted, coarsely chopped
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in a small bowl to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Place sliced onion in medium bowl.
- Cover with cold water, let stand (30 minutes).
- Drain well and pat dry.
- Place ⅓ cup (room temperature) dressing in an another medium bowl.
- Add apples and toss to coat.
- Cut each romaine half lengthwise into 3 wedges.
- Fan on a platter and top with red onion slices.
- Drizzle with dressing then sprinkle with apples and pecans.