A fresh, healthy salad intensified by roasted red peppers! Keep in mind, we recommend roasting the red peppers at least one day prior to making this salad so you will have to plan a bit in advance, but this salad is well worth it!
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, cut into ⅛ inch thick slices
- 2 romaine hearts, washed, dried, thoroughly, and torn into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, each seeded, cut into 12 wedges
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, loosely packed
- ¼ cup mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1 cup roasted peppers, cut into 2 by ½ inch strips
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Roasted red peppers: Prepare at least 1 day in advance.
- Roasted red peppers: Preheat the oven to 500˚F.
- Roasted red peppers: Place the whole peppers on a sheet pan and place in the oven (30-40 minutes) - turning twice during roasting - until skins are completely wrinkled and peppers are charred.
- Roasted red peppers: Remove the pan from the oven and immediately cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Roasted red peppers: Set aside (30 minutes) until cool enough to handle.
- Roasted red peppers: Remove the stem, peels, and seeds from each pepper and cut into quarters.
- Roasted red peppers: Pour the oil over the peppers.
- Roasted red peppers: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Whisk the first seven ingredients (red wine vinegar, lemon, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic clove, olive oil) together in a large bowl until combined.
- Add the onion and cucumber to toss.
- Let stand to blend the flavors (20 minutes).
- Add the romaine, tomatoes, parsley, mint, and peppers to the bowl with the onion and cucumber, toss to coat with the dressing.