Gluten-Free Chocolate Buckwheat Waffles
- ¼ Cup mixed buckwheat groats, black or white sesame seeds, and/or flaxseeds
- 2 Teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 Cup whole-milk ricotta
- Waffles and Assembly:
- 1 Cup buckwheat flour
- ½ Cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ Cup flaxseed meal
- 1¼ Teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Cups buttermilk
- ½ Cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- ¼ Cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- Pure maple syrup (for serving)
- Buckwheat Groats
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Whole-Milk Ricotta
- Buckwheat Flour
- Dutch-Process Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Flaxseed Meal
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Bittersweet Chocolate
- Kosher Salt
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Nonstick Vegetable Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 300°. Toss buckwheat, 2 tsp. maple syrup, and salt on a rimmed baking sheet until evenly coated. Bake until dry to the touch and toasty smelling, 12–15 minutes. Stir to recoat and transfer to a sheet of parchment paper. Let crumble cool.
- Whisk ricotta and remaining 2 Tbsp. maple syrup in a small bowl until smooth.
- WAFFLES AND ASSEMBLY
- Heat a waffle iron on medium. Whisk buckwheat flour, cocoa powder, flaxseed meal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl to combine. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth; mix in chocolate.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with nonstick spray. Scoop batter onto waffle iron (it should cover the entire surface; amount needed will vary according to model) and cook waffles until you smell a blast of chocolaty aroma hit you and edges are slightly darkened, around 3 minutes per batch. Remove carefully from waffle iron. Without gluten, waffles will be extra tender.
- Serve waffles topped with whipped ricotta, crumble, and maple syrup.