Fennel and Tomato Basil Soup
Fennel and Basil elevate a traditional Tomato soup with their hearty licorice and pepper flavors. A perfect on-the-go lunch to bring to work with you!
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 16 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 box vegetable broth
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup half-and-half
- Melt the butter and olive oil over low heat in a pot.
- Add onion and fennel, then allow to sauté for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 minutes longer, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Season with cloves, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in a food processor.
- Pour through a strained into a pot.
- Stir in the half-and-half.