Easy Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- 6 Tablespoons chicken stock or water
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons pineapple or orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons soy sauce
- ¾ Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 Pound shrimp
- 2 Teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 Teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 Cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 Cup 1-inch chunks green bell peppers
- 1 Cup pineapple chunks
- 12 Maraschino cherries
- 6 Tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Hot white rice, accompaniment
- Pineapple juice
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Green bell peppers
- Maraschino cherries
- Green onions
- White rice
- Chicken stock
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable oil
- To make the sauce, in a bowl, combine ¼ cup of stock, the ketchup, sugar, juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and ½ teaspoon of the pepper flakes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons of stock and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the shrimp with the ginger, garlic, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper flakes. Set aside for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Heat a large wok over high heat. Add the oil, swirling to coat the sides and bottom of the pan. Add the shrimp, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry until pink, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan. Add the onions and peppers and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the sauce and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Return the shrimp to the pan and add the pineapples, cherries, and green onions.
- Cook until the sauce is thick, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and serve over rice.