Crispy Tofu with Maple Glaze
Thank you to Bon Appetit for sharing this delicious meat-free recipe and beautiful picture!
- 1 12-oz. block firm tofu
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½" piece ginger, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
- Kimchi, toasted sesame seeds, hijiki, daikon, sliced scallions, and steamed rice (for serving; optional)
- Drain tofu, then sandwich between several layers of kitchen towels to remove excess liquid. Cut into 9 cubes.
- Whisk soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, and ginger in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. When oil is rippling across the surface, carefully add tofu so it doesn’t splash. Cook, undisturbed, until very crisp and dark brown underneath, 3–4 minutes. Carefully turn and repeat on opposite side. Holding tofu back with a spatula or slotted spoon, pour out oil into a small bowl. Return skillet to medium-high heat and add soy sauce mixture. Cook, reducing heat to medium so it doesn’t over-reduce or burn and basting tofu occasionally, until glaze is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Divide tofu among plates. Drizzle with glaze, then top with scallions. Serve with rice alongside.