Crispy Cheesy Broccoli Gratin
Serves 4. Cook time: 25 minutes.
Cheese and broccoli are a match made in heaven. This classic recipe has been made better then ever because it calls for a healthy sprinkling of Parmigiano-Reggiano that creates a rich and crispy crust.
- 1 1/4 pounds broccoli
- 1 head garlic
- 1 block Cheddar cheese
- 1 block Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Adjust one oven rack to the upper-middle position and another rack to the position. Place a rimmed sheet pan on the middle rack and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the broccoli florets with the olive oil and salt in a medium-size bowl. Turn the broccoli out onto the hot sheet pan (it should sizzle!), place back into the oven and roast until the bottom of the florets are nicely browned, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter and garlic in a ramekin and place it in the oven until the butter melts, 5 minutes.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a medium-size bowl, add the butter-garlic mixture, and toss with a fork. Add the Cheddar and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses and toss to combine.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and sprinkle the broccoli with the cheesy bread crumb mixture. Turn the broiler to high and place the sheet pan on the upper rack. Broil until the cheese is melted and browned, 1 to 2 minutes (watch the breadcrumbs closely as broiler intensities vary and you don’t want them to burn). Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter—making sure to scrape up all of the crispy, crunchy cheesy bits—and serve.