Coconut Rice Salad with Shrimp
This Coconut Rice Salad is the perfect summer-time meal!
- 8 small wooden skewers
- 1 (400 ml) can unsweetened coconut milk, preferably light
- 1 cup basmati or long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon hot chili flakes
- ½ pound green beans
- 2 green onions
- 1 ripe mango
- ½ english cucumber
- ¾ pound large, fresh, uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Soak skewers in water (20 minutes).
- Pour coconut milk into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 2 ½ cups. Pour into a large saucepan.
- Stir in rice, cardamom, cinnamon stick, salt, and chili flakes. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered (10 minutes).
- Trim beans, then cut in half. After rice has cooked for 10 minutes, scatter beans over top. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed (10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onions. When rice is done, turn into a large bowl. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir in onions & set aside.
- Slice mango into thin bite-sized strips.
- Slice cucumber in half lengthwise. Scrape out and discard seeds. Coarsely chop.
- Stir mango and cucumber into rice mixture.
- Oil grill and heat barbecue to medium.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Place in a bowl. Add oil, coriander and garlic salt, tossing to coat. Thread 4-5 shrimp on a skewer. For easy turning, thread a second skewer through. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Grill until pink (2 minutes per side).
- Serve kebabs over coconut rice salad.