Sweet Flan gets a tropical twist! No mediocre desserts for your family!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- (1) 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- (1) 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- ¾ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅓ cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- Special equipment: A layer of cheesecloth
- Place a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 325°. Set a 10”-diameter glass pie dish in a roasting pan.
- Bring sugar and ¼ cup water to a boil in medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar, about 3 minutes. Cook, swirling pan occasionally and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush (do not stir), until sugar turns deep amber, 10–12 minutes. Immediately pour caramel into pie dish and swirl to coat to the bottom. Let sit 10 minutes to allow caramel to set.
- Blend eggs, sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt in a blender until smooth. Skim off any thick foam that may have risen to the surface. Strain custard through a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth into pie dish.
- Transfer roasting pan with pie dish to oven and carefully pour hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dish (if you have one, a tea kettle makes this easy).
- Bake flan until just set in the center but still a little wobbly when gently jiggled and barely pale golden on top, 50–55 minutes. Carefully remove pie dish from roasting pan and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool 15 minutes. Chill until cold, 2–3 hours.
- Just before serving, run a knife along edges of flan, set a plate on top of pie dish, and carefully invert flan onto plate. Top with coconut flakes.
- Do Ahead: Flan can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.