Chocolate Date Caramel Cups
Makes 1 dozen - Photo Credit: The South African
- ¾ cup chopped raw nuts (such as pecans and/or walnuts)
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp. raw sesame seeds
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 6½ oz.)
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate (about 1 cup), chopped
- 1 tsp. virgin coconut oil
- Flaky sea salt
- 1 bag raw pecans or walnuts
- 1 bag unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 container raw sesame seeds
- 1 container pitted Medjool dates
- 1 small block bittersweet chocolate
- 1 jar Virgin coconut oil
- 1 box Kosher salt
- 1 box Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300°. Arrange 12 standard muffin liners on a rimmed baking sheet or large plate.
- Spread nuts, coconut, and sesame seeds in an even layer on a small rimmed baking sheet and toast, stirring once or twice, until nuts are darkened and fragrant and coconut is starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place dates in a medium heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over to cover dates and let soak 10 minutes. Drain dates, reserving soaking liquid.
- Transfer dates and 2 Tbsp. soaking liquid to a food processor. Add kosher salt and pulse, scraping down bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy, with no large pieces of dates remaining. Be patient: It will take about 3–5 minutes. If you’re having trouble getting the dates to break down, add more soaking liquid 1 tsp. at a time. You should have about ½ cup date caramel.
- Melt chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth and glossy, about 1 minute total. Pour about 1½ tsp. melted chocolate into each liner (no need to be exact, you just want a thin layer). Top with a small scoop of nut mixture, pressing to spread out the chocolate a bit (you want every nut to be in contact with chocolate so it won’t fall off). Using 2 spoons, dollop about 1 Tbsp. date caramel into each, pressing to gently spread down and around. Top each cup with 1 tsp. melted chocolate, using the back of a spoon to spread it around and cover as much caramel and bare nuts as possible. Sprinkle with remaining nut mixture and sea salt.
- Chill until chocolate is firm, about 1 hour.