Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potatoes
Our Chicken Pot Pie packs an extra punch with the addition of Sweet Potatoes!
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small sweet potato or yam, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- leaves from 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cup cooked chicken, shredded (use rotisserie chicken)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 store-bought 9 inch pie crust
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the sweet potato, carrot, onion, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Simmer (15 minutes) until vegetables are soft.
- Whisk together the milk and flour in a small bowl.
- Once the vegetables are soft, slowly add the flour-milk mixture, stirring until the filling has thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chicken and the peas.
- Add the pot pie filling to a 9 inch pie plate.
- Cover with the pie crust and cut a few slits on top to allow the steam to escape.
- Brush lightly with egg.
- Bake (25-30 minutes) until filling is bubbly inside.