Chicken Afritada is a popular Filipino dish that features chicken in a tomato sauce!
- ¼ cup Canola or vegetable cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large potato, quartered
- 2 large carrot, cut on the bias
- 1 ½ pounds, chicken, cut into serving size
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chunks
- ½ cup green peas
- Heat cooking oil in a deep pot or Dutch oven. Sauté onions and garlic, until translucent, about 5 mins. Add potatoes and carrots then sauté for another 5 minutes. Add in chicken, salt and pepper. Continue to stir. Add tomato sauce. Rinse the can of tomato sauce with water, add that water into the pot. Keep stirring. Add bay leaf, cover the pot and allow to come to a boil.
- In a separate bowl add soy sauce (or Tamari), Tabasco and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Once the Afritada has come to a boil, turn down the heat, uncover the pot and add the soy sauce mixture. Stir. Add bell peppers and green peas. Bring to a slow simmer for 10 mins.
- Serve over Jasmine rice.