Butternut Squash Soup with Honeycrisp Apple
- 2 Pounds cubed butternut squash
- 1 Medium onion, halved and sliced into wedges
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil, or another heat-safe oil
- 2 Cups chicken broth or more, as needed
- 1 Can (about 13 ½ oz. size) coconut milk, or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, diced
- Butternut squash
- Sea salt
- Avocado oil
- Chicken broth
- Coconut milk
- Honeycrisp apple
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Put squash cubes, onion, and garlic cloves on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and drizzle oil over top. Use your hands to toss everything around so it’s evenly coated.
- Roast for 35–40 minutes on a lower oven rack, tossing things around with a spatula a couple of times during cooking.
- Transfer roasted items to a medium to large soup pot. Add chicken broth and heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes and then blend it with an immersion blender (or in batches with a countertop blender) until smooth.
- Stir in coconut milk or cream. Add a little more salt, if needed, before serving. Top with diced Honeycrisp apple.