No brunch is complete without this breakfast staple!
- 1 cup (5 ounce) all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, separated
- 7/8 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, and cooled
- Heat waffle iron.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolk with the buttermilk and melted butter.
- Beat the egg white until it just holds a 2 inch peak.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients in a thin steady stream while mixing gently with a rubber spatula. Do not add liquid faster than you can incorporate it into the batter.
- Toward the end of mixing, use a folding motion to incorporate the ingredients.
- Gently fold the egg white into the batter.
- Spread an appropriate amount of batter onto the waffle iron.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, cook the waffle until golden brown (2-5 minutes).
- Serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.