Burritos De Machaca (Burritos with Spicy Shredded Jerky)
- 2 Tablespoons Maggi sauce
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 4 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ Cup olive oil
- 1 (2 to 3-Pound) skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 pieces
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ Cups diced onion
- 1 Cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 Serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 1 Can diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ Teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 (6-Inch) flour tortillas
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Maggi sauce
- Serrano chile
- Skirt steak
- Red bell pepper
- Beef broth
- Diced tomatoes with juice
- Dried oregano
- Flour tortillas
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Vegetable oil
- Combine the Maggi sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, chile, salt, and pepper, to taste, in a medium-size bowl. Slowly add the ½ cup of olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Add the beef to the marinade, making sure each piece is coated with the mixture. Transfer the meat and the marinade to a quart-size freezer bag. Seal and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight. Allow the meat to come to room temperature before cooking, about 30 minutes. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Discard the marinade.
- In a large heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on all sides, a few pieces at a time, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the browned meat to a platter and set aside.
- Add the onions, peppers, and chiles to the hot pan. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the beef broth, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well, then return the meat to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer slowly until the meat is very tender, about 2 hours. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and allow to rest until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Continue to cook the onion mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Using your fingers or 2 forks, shred the meat into 2-inch-long pieces. Return the shredded meat to the pot, stir to combine, and cook until the meat is very hot, about 3 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas over a burner or in a dry skillet over medium heat for 20 seconds. Put about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center of each tortilla, and roll into a thin burrito. Arrange them on a serving platter and garnish with lime wedges.
- Serve with rice and refried beans.