Braised Chicken Legs in Sauerkraut
A delicious meal for 2, perfect for date night!
- 3 1/2 pound chicken legs
- coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 cup store-bought sauerkraut
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Season chicken on all sides with salt. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat the pan with the oil then add the chicken. Cook (4 minutes per side), until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion to the skillet and cook (1 minutes). Be sure to scrape up all the browned bits.
- Remove from heat and stir in carrots and sauerkraut until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to a 9 inch by 13 inch baking dish.
- Position chicken legs in the middle of the mixture and cover with parchment-lined foil. Bake (30 minutes).
- Uncover and increase heat to 425˚F. Bake (10 minutes) until top is lightly caramelized and a thermometer reads 165˚F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken. Serve.