Blackberry Yogurt Parfait with Red Wine Caramel
- 2 baskets blackberries
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 1 tub low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 container whole star anise
- 1 container cream of tartar
- 1 bottle dry, fruity red wine, such as Syrah
- 1 bag hazelnuts, almonds, or pistachios
- 1 box sugar
- Stir sugar, star anise, cream of tartar, and 3 tablespoons water in a medium saucepan to blend. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, swirling occasionally (do not stir), until sugar is caramelized and the color of dark maple syrup, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully add 1/4 cup red wine (mixture will bubble vigorously), stirring to dissolve. Add remaining 1/4 cup red wine. Boil for 30 seconds, stirring to make sure all sugar is dissolved. Let cool completely.
- Layer 3-4 Blackberries in the bottom of small glass jars (clear jars or glasses show off the pretty layers, but you can also use bowls). Drizzle with 1 generous teaspoons red wine caramel; top with a spoonful of yogurt. Sprinkle nuts over. Repeat layering twice more, ending with nuts. Drizzle a bit more caramel over; garnish parfaits with mint leaves.