Black Forest Ham and Egg Bundle
This protein packed recipe would make a great addition to your next Brunch! Salty Black Forest Ham is paired with juicy tomato and egg and literally tied together with Leek strips - adorable and delicious!
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and green part, washed and sliced ⅛ inch thick, dark green part cut into long strips for tying up bundle
- 10 cremini mushrooms, quartered
- ⅓ cup fresh corn kernels
- 6 orange tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each, ends reserved
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup grated Monterey Jack
- 12 thin slices Black Forest ham
- basil oil
- 3 tablespoon chopped chives
- 12 slices rustic toast
- In a small bowl, combine the basil, oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir, then set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced leek, mushrooms, and corn.
- Cook until tender (8 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture from the skillet to the medium bowl.
- Cover to keep warm.
- In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the strips of leek until soft (2 minutes).
- Drain and set aside.
- Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Add to the skillet, adding more butter if necessary to keep them from sticking.
- Cook over medium heat, turning once, until tomatoes just begin to soften (1-2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the eggs and cook (6-8 minutes), stirring frequently, until cooked as desired.
- Sprinkle cheese over the eggs and stir.
- Lay ham in a single layer with a long strip of leek underneath (leek ends should extend beyond the ham).
- Divide the egg mixture among the ham slices.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the eggs.
- Drizzle with basil oil and sprinkle with chives.
- Roll each slice of ham around the filling and tie with leek strips.
- Top each piece of toast with the tomato slices and a ham and egg bundle.