Baja Fish Tacos
Taco Tuesday will never taste the same once you try our Baja Fish Tacos!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup dark beer, room temperature
- 1 3/4 pound halibut fillets, cut into 5 x 3/4 inch strips
- 1 lime, halved crosswise
- 12 white corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Hot pepper sauce
- Mix the first three ingredients (mayo, ketchup, sour cream) in a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set sauce aside.
- Whisk flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour in beer, and whisk until smooth. Let stand (15 minutes).
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice from lime halves over each strip of fish. Let stand (15 minutes). Mix fish into batter.
- Preheat oven to 200˚D. Heat skillet over medium heat. Stack 2 tortillas on work surface. Sprinkle top with water. Place stack in skillet, wet side down and heat (1 minute). Transfer stack to a large sheet of aluminum foil. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Enclose tortillas in foil and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Pour enough oil into a medium skillet to reach 1 inch depth. Heat to 350˚F. Slide 4 batter coated fish strips into oil. Fry until batter is golden and fish is just opaque in center (4 minutes). Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining fish strips.
- Fill each warm tortilla with 2 fish strips. Top with sauce, cabbage, tomatoes, squeeze of lime wedge and a dash of hot pepper sauce.