Bacon Cheddar Chive Scones
This savory breakfast treat will have everyone rushing back to the table for more!
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached AP Flour OR 2 cups King Arthur Pastry Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon (14g) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons (57g) cold butter
- 1 cup (113g) very coarsely grated or diced cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (about 14g) snipped fresh chives or 1/3 cup (21g) finely diced scallion tops (the green part)
- 1/2 pound (227g) bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (198g) heavy cream or whipping cream, or enough to make the dough cohesive
- Preheat the oven to 425°F with a rack in the middle to upper third. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Work the butter into the flour until the mixture is unevenly crumbly, with some of the butter remaining in larger pieces.
- Mix in the cheese, chives, and bacon until evenly distributed.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cream, stirring to combine. Try squeezing the dough together; if it's crumbly and won't hang together, or if there are crumbs remaining in the bottom of the bowl, add cream until the dough comes together. Transfer the shaggy dough to a well-floured work surface.