Grilled Flank Steak with Szechuan Peppercorns
- Sichuan Peppercorns
- Dry white wine
- Chinese Black Bean–Garlic Sauce
- (3) 1-1/4-pound flank steaks
- In a small skillet, toast the peppercorns over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool completely. Grind to a powder and transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the wine, black bean–garlic sauce and sugar.
- Light a grill. Arrange the steaks on a baking sheet and rub them all over with the sauce. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Season the flank steaks lightly with salt. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until the steaks are medium-rare, about 8 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the meat across the grain and serve.